Drop action removal (continued)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 21:08:25 EST

In a message dated 12/30/98 12:56:19 PM Central Standard Time,
imatunr@primenet.com writes:

<< > >It has probably been discussed before, but soon I will have to take out
 two
 > >`drop action' actions out of their cases. Any suggestions for doing this
 > >efficiently?

Whoops, I accidently sent the last post before I was finished!

(continuing)

5.  Unscrew the four screws (or three thumbscrews) that hold the action.  They
may be really tight.  I suggest a ratched screwdriver with a ball handle that
you can put a lot of pressure on with.  Make sure the bit fits well.  Lube the
tight screw before you put it back.
Some Baldwin spinets require a socket wrench to get the tight action bolt
loose.

6.  All you need to do is lift carefully upwards, watching that the dampers
clear then tilting backwards, pull the action out.

7.  No matter what the reason is that you are taking any verticle action out,
always tighten or at least, check to see if they need tightening, the rear
flanges.  This is your opportunity to take advantage to the access you have to
these screws.  It is very important that they be tight.  Even the very act of
tightening them will change the capstan (grommet) adjustment.

8. To reinstall the action, simply hold it with the wires fallen against the
wippens until you reach the keybed.  The edge of the keybed itself will keep
the wires from falling down.
Then grab a handfull of keys at a time, lube them if you choose to and
reinstall each one while hooking back up the grommet.  Make sure you have the
keyfork in the right place on the grommet and it is fully in place.

9.  Proceed with alignment and regulation.

(You can earn some nice half or full day's work fees for these kinds of jobs.
When I see a spinet that needs the action removed, I see $$$$$$!