removing and installing piano plates

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 01 Jan 1999 09:13:36 -0500

Mark,
I have an electric winch mounted off to the side on the central beam in my
shop.
The cable runs along the beam to a pulley. I move the piano under the pulley
and attach the plate via racketing straps (3 or 4). With the control switch in
one hand
and the plate in the other, I can pull a plate by myself.  I usually protect
the inside
of the case from scrapes.  Once the plate is above the rim I push the lighter
case
away and roll in my upright tilter to lower the plate. I will use the  grand
refinishing
truck if it is unoccupied.

I've done a 9' Chickering by myself. A word of caution, make certain your
straps
are secure. I have never lost anything but the little bumps when things
cinch-up
can be a little startling.

Over-kill on the winch  -  1 ton capacity. This is nothing to have straining.

Welcome to the list and 1999,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)