water-based lacquers

Sat, 2 Jan 1999 08:12:33 -0500

I want to thank all of you who responded so quickly to my query about
lifting piano plates.  It was an impressive display of generosity, and
yielded some great ideas and specific information.  Thanks a bunch!

Are any of you refinishers STILL looking for a water-based lacquer that
actually works great and looks every bit as good as nitrocellulose
lacquer with none of the negatives?  I sprayed nitro for over 15 years,
and have sprayed water-based exclusively for the last 5.  The claims of
greatness ftrom the manufacturers have been many and eloquent, but
results have almost always been somewhat disappointing.  Until now...

I am now using a product from Enduro that I think is actually quite a bit
better than nitocellulose in almost every way.  The sealer REALLY powders
up great, flow-out is excellent, it dries VERY quickly, rubs out
beautifully, and is far more durable than the nitros.  And you won't blow
up your shop, and you won't be dizzy from fumes at the end of the day.
Appearance-wise I would defy anyone to tell the difference.  It's the
first water-based finish I've been able to say that about!  It probably
sounds like I'm a rep for them, but I assure you I am only a user of
their products.  After searching this long for a good substitute, and
trying over 15 water-based lacquers, it's exciting to have something this
good.  Their # is (800) 696-0615.

Thanks again for the help!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com