just a moment of your time

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 07:24:57 EST

Greetings,
I asked;
 >>  Does this mean that you did 4 tunings, stretched out over a month?
And Phil replies:
>over 3 months time..i know..ultra-conservative..i know better now..or do I?

     Yes,  That seems pretty conservative.   I don't think I would have raised
an older piano up 300 cents by the normal overpull method either, since that
would require an excessive amount of sharpening,(on a per string basis).  I do
think things could have been done in two visits, ( but who knows, pianos can
be as individual as the customers, and one thing a good tech does is try to
constantly be sensitive to atypical situations.)
     I think I would have pulled to standard on the first quick pass, which
would have allowed me to then use the SAT pitch raise from a less drastic
"floor", all in the first visit.  But, as Phil did,  I would then go back in a
week or two, after the wire had had a chance to rebend at all the bearing
points, and maybe the soundboard /structure had adjusted to the new load, and
do another careful tuning.
    That Phil was able to successfully get this thing up and running shows
that there was a careful approach used!  I am just suggesting that he may have
been a little more adventurous and done it more quickly.
Regards,
Ed Foote