Size of Steinway A 2

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:20:23 -0500

Dear List,

I just purchased a Steinway grand for restoration.  The serial number
indicates that it was built in 1900, and the case wood working and plate
look correct for that date.  The owner had no idea what model the piano
was, but had been told by an "expert" that it was an L.  Since the piano
was almost certainly made in 1900, and since it measures 6' 3 1/2"
(carefully measured by someone who knows how), and has a 20 note bass
section, I am quite sure it is an A.  Here is my question:  What kind of A
is it?  It has no separate tenor bridge and a square tail, so it's
definitely not an A I.  It is also not a reproducer of any sort.

It's too big for an A II, and too small for an A III, at least according to
all of my information.  Was the variance in size of A II models so great?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might give.

Frank Weston