fingernail protection

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:30:28 EST

In a message dated 1/5/99 2:12:23 PM Central Standard Time, Kgj38@AOL.COM
writes:

<< I realize that this sounds like a silly question, but what do some of you
do
 to prevent your nails from shattering while playing test blows?  It never
 fails that I end up cracking my thumbnail or my index finger nail when I
tune.

 Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

 Karen Johnson
 Rochester, MN
 (associate member) >>

Dear Karen,

I am known to give relentlessly hard test blows to the piano to the point that
they complain about it at PTG seminars and conventions yet I never have really
had the problem,  other than a rather infrequent occurence, that you speak of.
I think nail-biters might not have the problem either.  Since I virtually
never do this, (if I have a broken nail, I take my center pin cutters and trim
it,)  I trim my nails when they get to the point that they start striking the
keys (usually every week or so).

For a man,  it is obvious that keeping short nails is appropriate and best.
As a woman, you have to decide whether having longer nails is compatible to
your profession.  If keeping longer nails is important to you, you need to
make and learn to use consistently a striker as some of the other List members
have described.

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin