Conover Plate cracks

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:35:08 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

You may have just become the worlds expert on Lock-N-Stitch as far as
piano plates are concerned. Whatever type repairs you use for the rest
of the job may be incidental in comparison to the job of carefully fitting
the pinblock panels to the plate. Traditionally, pinblocks get lamp-black,
blue chalk, red chalk or some material which will be offset from the plate
surfaces to the block as indications of where to relieve pinblock material
to facilitate a good close fit everywhere. To make these imprints on the
block, apply the chalk or whatever you use to the plate at all places where
the pinblock will be touching the plate. Then, place the pinblock against
the plate and tap it with a hammer to imprint the chalk on the block. Remove
the block and you will see all the places where the block was not in contact
with the plate. Use a rotary rasp or plane to rasp off the areas where the
color did imprint the block, then try it again, and again until the material
offsets almost completely to the block. This will insure that you have a
good intimate fit between the block and the plate. Then when you screw the
block to the plate, you will not as likely create any stresses between the
block and the plate. When you fit the continuous 1/2" pinblock material
which ties the 3 or 4 pinblock segments together, you will also want to make
sure that this strip does not force some warp. I think I would epoxy this
strip to the individual blocks so that in the future the block can be
removed as a unit. If this last seems strange to you, perhaps I misread your

Jim Coleman, Sr.