Broken tuning pin removal

Richard Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:50:54 -0600

Ted Simmons wrote:

> While tuning a spinet last week a tuning pin broke at the becket hole
> leaving most of the pin exposed.  I thought it would be a simple task to
> turn the pin out of the hole and hammer in a new one, but such was not the
> case.  The tuning pins on this piano are super tight and I couldn't budge
> the broken pin with vise grips.  So I sawed the becket deeper and tried a
> big screwdriver with no success.  Can anyone suggest a tool or a method
> that will get this tuning pin out?
>
> Ted Simmons
> Merritt Island, FL
I would try something else before heating the pin! Cold not heat! Heat
expands metal and will make it thighter. Cold does just the opposite and
may give you enough play to allow vice grips to turn the pin. How to get
the cold? A small block of dry ice should do just fine. Protect your
hands and hold it around the pin. At least it won't do any damage to
anything around or the wood. Good luck. Rich