Feedback on PTG attendance

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 00:24:00 -0800

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:
"You only get out of a chapter meeting what you are willing
to put into it."

Indeed---

The  meetings I have learned the most from are the ones I have had to prepare to
teach.

I waited far too many years as an observer, before joining.
It was a mistake.

When I passed the RPT exam I was told
"Now the journey begins"
 Didn't get it ??I'd just arrived-??.

 He was right.

--------------Join to contribute-----------

you get back double what you put in.
I do believe those that contribute the least, get the least.

-------------Join to give respect----------

to those that have given before us.

-------------Join to earn respect------------

I find when I give more, some of the older
 technicians are not only willing, but eager to share,
 resulting in some of the best one on one learning,-- co-operation
on experimental projects-- & willingness to be engaged at a different
level.
They seem relieved when given reason to believe a new technician cares.

------------Join to put out fear-------------

Some of the older techs., have trained  young folks,
who in their view have gone independent
prematurely, undercut the price, and taken a share of their market. I can't
blame them for feeling cautious about the possibility some don't care
about the client, the piano, or the children studying music, just the check.

I think of one tech who after learning  A LITTLE regulation was charging $3 a
paper punching-- and managed to walk out of one client with $400 after
2hrs in the home, including tuning, ever heard of $700 to level keys(nothing else
and
still bad)-cash--no receipt--what a salesman!!. He was threatened with
court action and returned half the money.
Wouldn't you feel hurt for the client if you had contributed to this man's
business.
Maybe even a little guilty about it.

This is very extream & rare.
Most all the people I have met in this business are caring and generous, all
I am saying is that I can not blame some for feeling a little cautious.
Some of these cautious technicians have the most to give, and
deserve a little goodwill to put out fear.

------------Join for the love of piano---------

The money never goes to the individuals, but to
the guild corporation, who cultivate and promote piano, set
standards to live by, & educate.... I, nor any of my peers have received a
cent for teaching, preparing the newsletters, calling, counseling, etc. and it's
allot of free work. I don't do it in the hope of making my competitors business
better, but in the hope of cultivating more love of the business, to RAISE
STANDARDS for the clients sake, for childern who must put up with poor
instruments, for our cultures sake, the future of piano playing, and live
music, to improve myself as a technician and person.

It's a small world----- A little goodwill goes a long way.

Join to give, not to get
Give for others sake, Give for your own sake.

                                                Cheers all

                                                  Dave Renaud
                                                  RPT