Gold-Plated Strings

Philip Jamison mortier@netreach.net
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 10:02:39 -0500

   Schomacker Piano Company of Philadelphia gold-plated their strings
from early on. I collect old piano advertising and have their 1893
catalog. Here are some quotes:
                              " THE GOLD PIANO-FORTE STRINGS"
One only has to cast a glance at a Piano-Forte strung with these gold
wires, to acknowledge its                   SUPERIOR, RICH AND ELEGANT
APPEARANCE.
over the ordinary iron and steel-stringed instruments.
   A simple running of the scale will convince even the skeptic that the
clear, resonant, liquid, bell-like tones, must come from some more
sonorous metal than simply iron or steel."
   This goes on for several pages with gold plating credited with
elimination of rust, more powerful tone, volume, etc. Gold actually does
have a certain sonority, but the electroplating is so thin, I can't see
how it would have any more than a visual effect. The Schomacker pianos
are fairly common in this area. Their plating is mostly gone except for
around the pins (I believe they even plated the wrapped strings). They
must have been impressive when new!

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA