Musty odor in piano

GFi5607775@AOL.COM GFi5607775@AOL.COM
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:27:36 EST

I would like to suggest some charcol in a chees cloth bag, in the bottom,
natural agreat oder absorbant and also just a simple box of Baking soda, it
may take a bit of time, try them both. Each are great at "absorbing" oders,
you'll have to get back to me with your results, I know the oder won't
"vanish" once you put them inside the piano, but in a couple of months I would
suspect a noticable improvement.

What's the cause? Is the piano in a damp emviroment? I have found mildew and
"other fuzzy" growths inside and underneath several pianos, I used Xylol on
the wood parts, (after taking the piano outside for some sunshine and fresh
air) and seems to a good result.

Eliminate the source of the odor if you can. Try a damp chaser etc.
Most "smelly" bugs hate sunshine, so get it outdoors for a few day, if it's
possible, take it as far apart as you can and leave it in the sun. Don't wory
2 or 3 days in the sun never hurt a piano, as long as your not "cooking it".

Gregory
PianoDisc Middle East
Action Piano Technology