Broken Tuning Pins

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 12:00:59 -0400

Ron Nossaman wrote:
> Forgive me Carl, but I have to ask. If you are talking about a break at the
> becket hole, how could the tip fit make any difference? Torque at the hole
> should be the same, however the tip fits, and that's the only place I've
> ever seen a pin break.

We agree that pins break at the becket hole.

I have to ask, Ron, have you ever broken a pin?  (Don't worry, we'll let
you keep your RPT card even if you have not had the pleasure.)  I really
thought everyone had, but maybe I'm wrong.  I broke one many years ago
and my impression at the time was that I had been careless about seating
the tip properly on the pin.  If we're not dealing with a high torque
situation, you'll probably get away with it.  For several years, there
were several local 'shops' spitting out repinned pianos with obscenely
high torque, so stories of broken pins were not uncommon.

There is a tendency to bend the pin whenever we attempt to turn it in
the block, no matter what tip or technique we use.  If the tip contacts
the pin only at the top on one side and the bottom of the other - which
is what happens when the tip is not seated properly, then bending forces
are exaggerated considerably.

Pins are not wrenched off when they break, they are bent/snapped off.
At least that's how it felt at the time.

Carl Root, RPT