Room-to-room grand piano move

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:59:54 EST

<< There are no steps.  I have a dolly and plenty of help.  I do not have a
 skid, so the step that involves getting the dolly under the piano once
 the lid's been removed is the part that makes my a bit nervous.  I
 thought of making  some sort of support block that was the same height
 as the dolly and placing it under the bass end side.  Is there a good
 way to immoblize the dolly?

 I couldn't find anything useful in the archives.

 Carl Root, RPT >>

There should not be a problem putting the piano on the dolly. I have rubber on
top of my dolly, so the finish is not damaged. If you do not have padding.
then put a blanket on the dolly. When lowering the piano on the dolly, just
make sure it isn't rolling any where. Just have someone hold on to it. When
you tip the piano on its side, the dolly might flip up to catch the side, but
again, just make sure it doesn't roll away, and you'll be fine.

There is another way to get he piano on the dolly, but it requires a lot of
back muscle. Put the piano on its side on a blanket. Then lift the piano at
the keyboard end, and let it roll up on its tail. You can then put the dolly
under it.

There are two ways you can lif the piano. One is to bend down and get your
fingers under the piano, and lift, using your legs. It does require a strong
back, but it can be done. The other way is to lift the piano up by  the lyre
brace and one of the plate struts. Again, use your legs as much as possible.

Willem Blees