MAJOR peeve

Gayle Mair damppchasr@brinet.com
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:08:56 -0500

On unregulated dehumidifiers, please note the following two announcements
from our
most recent newsletters.  In the interest of time and space, I'm going to
paraphrase some
of the information contained.

Newsletter #1 - 48-inch Dehumidifiers will be sold only with humidistats.

A dehumidifier installation without a humidistat is a prelude to an
over-dried piano.
Despite our efforts and those of our distributors, (which includes the
application of
warning labels on dehumidifiers), the practice of installing dehumidifiers
without
humidistats still persists.
We have told our distributors, that beginning on December 1, 1998, they are
to refuse to
sell 48" dehumidifiers (in 25, 35, and 50 watt power levels) into
applications they believe
will not be controlled with a humidistat.  The exceptions to this will be
Florida and Hawaii
where homes are not heated in winter.
To make a smoother transition, Dampp-Chaser distributors will offer a 3-Pack
which will
include three 48" dehumidifiers, (your choice of power levels), and three
humidistats at the
following suggested prices:

25 watt $155.00
25A $160.00
35 watt $158.50
35A $163.50
50 watt $165.00
50A $170.00
This represents a substantial savings over the single-unit prices.

Newsletter #2 Technical Briefs from Bob Mair

New 3-Pack, A Better Value
This special package will be offered at attractive prices and includes (3)
48" dehumidifiers,
all of the same power (no mixing), and (3) humidistats (standard calibration
only--no Wet
or Dry).  The technicians I have talked to have universally applauded our
decision not to
sell dehumidifiers without humidistats.  There reaction has been, "you
should have done
this years ago."  Please Note:  The installation of a dehumidifier with a
humidistat (a
partial system) is appropriate only for climates where relative humidity
remains high
continuously and where the home is not heated.  At lower relative humidity
levels, the
piano should be protected by a complete Climate Control System which
includes a
humidifier.

On the Steinway upright, it's possible to install a vertical system in at
least some issues of
the Model K.  I would recommend, however, the vertical system with the short
tank -
5PS-50ST.  The backside system is more costly, more time consuming to
install, and more
time consuming to maintain.  It is a special application system and should
be used when
the depth of the piano won't permit installation of a standard system (most
Steinway
uprights and player pianos).  I believe, as proven by our test results, that
this system
provides outstanding piano stability.  If you aren't getting this, please
call me and let's talk
about why.  My phone number is 1-800-438-1524.  There have been some changes
since
this system first came out.

Sincerely,

Bob Mair