Dampp-Chasers, was MAJOR peeve

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:11:55 -0400

Gayle Mair wrote:
>  Please Note:  The installation of a dehumidifier with a
> humidistat (a partial system) is appropriate only for climates where relative humidity> remains high> continuously and where the home is not heated.  At lower relative humidity> levels, the> piano should be protected by a complete Climate Control System which> includes a> humidifier.

Although I agree that stats should be part of a system in homes that
have a heating system, I hope that requiring a humidifier is not on the
horizon.

I rarely install humdifiers because MOST of the 'complete' systems I
installed back in the late seventies were not maintained.  Even after
the light was added, people just didn't want to be bothered watering
their pianos.  Then there's the question of who is going to be
responsible for replacing liners and pads on every visit.  This has the
effect of raising your tuning fee and is hardly a selling point unless
the piano players are very particular about pitch stability.

Why not encourage the use of bars and a stat to reduce the humidity
range the piano is exposed to throughout the year?  It isn't as
effective as the 'complete' system, but it is maintainance-free.

Carl Root, RPT

PS.   I'm about to order some 24" bars for the back of a Baldwin
Hamilton to suppliment the 50W bar and stat.  We'll see how it works.