Filemaker Pro - was Windows Laptops

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:22:37 -0400

Frank Cahill wrote:
> Carl, I use Lotus approach. Very easy.
>
> I have an engineering degree but always hated software. So my wife read
> the book for 1 hour and showed me everything I need to know in five
> minutes. It's relational but I don't use that capability.

I did not use the relational capability of dBaseIV, but with Filemaker,
it's so easy, that there's no reason not to.

There are several one-to-many relationships that we can keep track of in
our business.  The most obvious is one client-many appointments.  Yes,
you can dump daily income data into a separate file, but it's great to
be able to look back into your client database from the income file,
which you can't do unless it's relational.  Two other relational files I
use are a separate piano file for individuals and institutions with more
than one piano, and a contact file which I'm now using to keep track of
calls (or mailings, etc.).  The idea is to waste less time on the phone
by keeping track of people who are rarely home or who love to postpone
their next appointment.  So far, it seems to be worth while.

> Cost is about $100.
>
> I don't know about import capabilities, however.

Shouldn't be a problem.

> How much does the Filemaker Pro cost?

I paid $170.

Carl Root, RPT