Dampp-Chasers, was MAJOR peeve

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:01:47 -0600 (CST)

>Ron,
>
>    We don't anticipate REQUIRING a humidifier despite the fact that we
>strongly
>recommend it.

*Well, that was Carl's comment, but I did agree.

>    Times and people change in twenty plus years.  We see much evidence that
>people nowadays care more for possessions such as pianos and are willing to
>devote the time and effort to enhance their performance and life.  Perhaps
>if you
>tried again with the humidifier, you would see what we see.

*My observation wasn't FROM twenty years ago, it was FOR the past twenty
years, including incidents within the last few months. For all the hours I
have spent preaching humidity control at owners, administrators, custodians
and maintenance people, I have apparently not (possibly not ever) talked to
the correct person. I currently find the situation just like Carl stated it,
and just like I have stated it in the past. I have no reason to believe that
human nature will change tomorrow.

A suggestion
>for the
>Baldwin Hamilton you are about to add more dehumidifiers to, try the back
>cover
>first.  It adds another dimension to humidity control.  It's easy to install
>and it's less
>expensive than two additional humidifiers.
>
>Bob Mair

*This is to whomever it was that asked about that. I've lost track.

 Ok, for the record. I am not against Dammp-Chaser systems in the slightest.
They are well designed, and very effective humidity control systems. When
properly used, they greatly aid tuning stability in poorly controlled
environments. When improperly used, they are detrimental to tuning
stability, and contributory to humidity related damage in pianos. I estimate
that only about ten percent of the installed systems that I encounter in the
field are installed correctly (complete system), adequately maintained, and
plugged in. By far (maybe 80%) the most prevalent installation I see is the
single unregulated dehumidifier bar. That's what my initial post was about.

 Ron