Plastic keytop removal

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:40:36 -0500

Lance,
Try an iron placed over aluminium foil on top of the keys.
This will soften the plastic and glue and a blade will peel it off.
The foil also keeps the bottom of the iron clean.

Find the right heat setting for the heating/peeling process.

As always, fill any gouges before planing.  I use a plunge router bit
on my drill press with the key held in a drill press vice for planing.
A stop clamped to the table maintains an even end on the tail.
The tops have a nice onlay look to them this way.
PVC-E glue, no need to clamp, press on well.
http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptsearch.html
Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)