Plastic keytop removal

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:10:48 -0600

>Please advise on the best way to remove plastic and celluloid natural
>keytops.  Damp towel and an iron does not work.  Thanks.
>Also, what is the best glue?  PVCA?  Where do I get your suggested glue?
>
>P.S.  How do I get to the search engine for the archives?  I got lost.
>Thanks.
>
>LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT

Lance,

I get good results when I use brown butcher paper or brown paper sack and
an iron set on medium to low heat. Steam seems to work best when removing
ivory, and dry heat works best for both plastic and celluloid.

PVC -E glue is best for gluing on keytops. PVA DOES NOT WORK for keytops
(ask me how I know!). I order PVA and PVC-E from Pianotek but Schaff has
them as well.

Good luck.

Tom

Tom Seay