An Adventure

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:22:38 -0500

Dear List Mates

Last summer I committed to refurbishing the bellows of a Mason & Hamlin
two rank reed organ.

The reservoir materiel was bad but the exhausters were made by gluing
fine leather to stiff cardboard.  The leather was in good condition and
without leaks.

I replaced the reservoir material, the exhauster webbing and reassembled

the organ, which then played fairly well, and it had an acceptable
vacuum hold duration.

I got a call from the customer, who is a metallurgist and not a
musician, to the effect that the organ will not hold a vacuum.  I got
there and it did not indeed hold a vacuum.

Since the weather has been cold, the heat has been on a lot, I thought a

board or panel had split.  I could see nothing wrong so I disassembled
the organ, with dread, but I needed to solve the problem.  The bellows
system was as tight as when I reinstalled it, so I looked at the sound
chamber more closely.  No obvious leaks or splits, but the two parts did

not meet evenly all around.  No real problem there because there are
twenty screws holding them together.  A power screw driver is a must!

I started to reassemble the organ. And I reassembled it, took it apart
for some reason or other for two days. Just to find a leak.  No leaks.
I used a stethoscope around the edges, no leaks.  When I finally got it
together it still will not hold a vacuum like it did in the summer, so I

can only conclude that the drying of the wood opened micro cracks and
that the gasket material, long strips of buckskin, leaks some but not
enough to be heard with a LOUD stethoscope.

I hate these things.  He asked why I do them and I said that about every

7 to 8 years I have to acquire a bit more humility, just enough to keep
me honest and teach me that I do not know everything.

I will accept comments about the organ but I will not accept comments on

my character deficiencies.

One winter adventure too many, so far.

Stay warm and dry.

                Newton