String Breakage

FRED W TREMPER f.trempe@morehead-st.edu
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:43:40 -0500 (EST)

I service a Yamaha grand, G1-J, at an apostolic church.  It has suffered
several broken bass strings.  In the past I have replaced strings nos.
11,13,18,20,21,25,30,31,34,and 35, and there may be more.

Of course, strings break on this piano when the pianist cannot contain
herself (all of the pianists are female and weigh about 97 lbs.).

I think what happens is that when the dampers are raised and the string
is at the top of its vibration envelope another hard blow comes along and
drives the string even higher.  Breakage is the result.  Am I correct?

I have increased the let off to reduce power and I have recommended that
the sustain pedal be disconnected and showed the minister how to do it.

Any other suggestions?

Fred

Fred W. Tremper, RPT
Morehead State University