Plate Casting: Metal Heads

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:57:03 -0500

Gregory,

Plate casting requires a foundry, good metal sources (ore or scrap), precise
control of contaminates and lots of experience, heat and knowledgeable workers.

Cast iron shrinks when cooling and the cast is from a cast iron model.  When
designing a plate the shrinkage has to be taken into account twice.  A wooden
model is made, oversize, sent to the foundry and a casting is made of the wooden
model.  The first casting is returned to you for verification or modification.  It
is returned to the foundry who owns that first casting.  It is used to mold for
the next casting, which is yours.  Total cost from wooden model to finished, ready
to install, plate is about $15,000.

There are many foundries in the world but not many that will and can do piano
plates.  Very specialized work.

                Newton