String Breakage

Ted Simmons ted@brevard.net
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:58:59 -0500

Hi Fred,
Let me give you a synopsis of my experiences with broken strings.  Church
#1 called me to tune their piano.  I found 2 broken bass strings and
replaced them.  6 months later there were 2 more broken strings. Ditto
another 6 months later.  Then suddenly for a couple of years there were no
broken strings.  Church #2 bought a new piano and I tuned it 3 times the
first year of its life without incident.  Then all of a sudden strings were
breaking.  At one of Church #1's tunings I inquired as to why there were no
more broken strings.  The answer I got was that they have a new piano
player.  I asked where the other piano player went and he said "to Church
#2".

Along a more technical line I've heard of adjusting the damper lift so that
the dampers rise above the strings about 1/16 inch or so.  That way if the
string excursions are too great the dampers will suppress them. I haven't
tried this myself but it might be worth a try.

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, FL