Touchy Technicians: Goobers are where you find them

GFi5607775@AOL.COM GFi5607775@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 18:23:20 EST

Touchy Technicians Goobers are where you find them:

A word to the wise:

For at least the last 10 years, I have never "touched" a piano.

You heard it form me. Every single piano I touch while tuning, or servicing
(with a few exceptions in restorations, regulations and finishing work) I have
worn "disposable" white cotton gloves.

Oh the mighty expense! There goes my holiday budget! They cost me about, 18
cents a pair US dollars. I buy them by the box, of I think 24 bundles of 10
pairs each.

Those "goobers" on the finish, many I simply wipe with my gloves when I finish
tuning.
While I am tuning, I have no fear of touching the strings.
(As a matter of fact, I almost "ALWAYS" touch the strings on my concert work)

When setting up a concert tuning, after I "think" I’ve set the pin, I give the
string a bit of pressure down. This seems to accomplish for me several steps
of service at once.

1. If the pitch changes…something has moved duuu.
2. Seats the string "gently" to the bridge
3. Cleans anyone else’s goobers from the "tops" of the strings
4. And assures me that no matter how hard this guy is going to plow into my
work, it won’t budge my tuning. ( couple of Artist’s I believe can actually
"Stretch" the piano wire but I have personal never seen anything greater than
0.1 on the SAT and only on one or two "wires"

After each tuning I offer them to my clients, for cleaning, or simply dispose
of them.
The gloves will clean "goobers" from the keys, the plate and well a thousand
and one uses.
Hey…Maybe I could patent the idea of "Goober Gloves" for touchy technicians!!!

I could make millions of pianos…."UN damaged"

Always leave it better than when you start. All pianos that I have received
new from a factory, I can assure you are in better condition than.. when they
left the factory. They are all spotless inside, and I can easily see from the
"goobers on the strings" if someone else has been inside other than myself.

Gregory

Viewer Discretion Advised:

PLEASE DO NOT CONTUNUE ON WITH THE NEXT SECTION:

CAUTION:
CAUTION:
Unless you have suggested I stop working on the computer, and get a book,
This ones for you only;

 With reference to:

POSTING AND READING

It would be my great pleasure to read, and review any "books" written by any
informed and educated individual. Please forward any published information for
my careful review.

Upon completing my editing for technical content, I will be happy to forward
your text to professional proofreaders, for educational content, Grammar and
spelling. (A profession at which I am not trained).

I will use the resources of some of the staff responsible for reviewing the
SAT (standard aptitude test) questions, maybe if you ever went to college, or
your children, if they ever completed high school, may be familiar with.

Speed-reading, study skills and English literature education professors, were
by the grace of God my parents, both have a Ph.D.

I am sure we as a professional organization may be able to access there
combined wealth of experience in reading, writing and studying method of
education to our benefit in presenting ideas, test question, and text in a
clear "understandable" written form.

My position in life is that of a "Piano Janitor" I clean up the" messes" I
find in pianos.
Janitors do not by necessity have much recognition for being professionals, or
possessing even college degrees. I am not aware of a PHD offered in
"janitorial skills". Maybe there is now one, or should be.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness…someone else said. I keep cleaning and
reading.

By the way. TO respond to 11 messages, required reading and writing, lots of
time and may even have given someone something they didn’t have.
Information…and a cleaner spirit. I would like to give more than I’m taking.

Please feel free to forward your book(s) to:
Gregory A. Fisher
11918 Vance Jackson
San Antonio, Texas	78230
APTPianoDiscME@Hotmail.com

My fees if charged, begin at $1000USD per day. Plus airfare, lodging and food.