Refinishing

GFi5607775@AOL.COM GFi5607775@AOL.COM
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 06:11:10 EST

Refinishing is most certainly an art, much of which is difficult to explain or
describe in words. Try to find a "master" in your area, or I'll do what I can
if you write me directly, after this.

Gregory Fisher
Action Piano Technology
PianoDisc Middle East
APTPianoDiscME@Hotmail.com

I always use Lacquer to finish with. For me this is my choice of finish for
several reasons.

I always spend the "maximum" (reasonable) amount of time on preparation of the
surfaces.....before spraying. I used to have a little "ghost" who would visit
my finishing room every night (day) when I had a job for my "excellent" list
for quality control of piano "refinishing" I'd call him "Nick the refinisher."
After completing every detail possible, stripping (the most important art in
many cases), wood preparation, sanding, coloring, filling, inlay's, hardware
polishing and replacing "all" the scews..well after spraying each coat I could
see where my ghost Nick had been.

Poly...whatever, finishes I don't believe have a very significant impact on
pianos as far as "sound" goes.  Except for possibly in soundboard
applications. The finishes used by many makers today, are much "heavier" than
what was used in the past.

Many hobbyist even spray a can of "gold" paint over the entire tuning pins and
pinblock. Which really has no effect on the sound from what I can determine
either?
I get a little sick to my stomach when I see it, it's a visual discomfort.

I would love to study with a "master" finisher, I know it will take at least a
year or more to get better myself at this art. I'm "competent" at refinishing,
but I have worked with maybe 2 masters. The real art is color, and knowing
your materials.
I've seen damage virtually disappear in the hands of an artist.

I still like to see plastic on packages in America supermarket shelves. I
prefer lacquer on pianos, I am comfortable with repairs and touch-up down the
road of my work.

Gregory