Netiquette

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:55:06 -0400

Newton Hunt wrote:
> (snip)
> Please read about netiquette at the above URL because pianotech _will_
> conform to it's philosophy or we can loose this forum and become a
> moderated list.  This is something none of us wish to see happen (snip)

Not true.  Many of us have recognized the need for a moderator and have
said so on this list and in private posts.

> There is a pianotech mission statement but I do not have a copy of it
> now because I thought we are superior to other unmoderated lists. If
> someone has that statement please post it.

PIANOTECH -- a forum for piano technicians

        The "pianotech" list is intended for technical discussions
        among piano technicians.  Other topics of general interest
        to piano technicians do come up, but the main focus is on
        sharing technical information.  It is an "open" list, allowing
        anyone to subscribe and submit posts.

Does this mean that non-technical posts are not welcome?  I think it
does.  The 'open' refers to who may participate, not what we may talk
about.  The 'other topics' must be of 'general interest'.  Every day,
this list has posts that don't meeting these criteria.

Yes, this post is therefore a breech of netiquette because it's non
technical, but without a moderator and with two different camps with
very different ideas about what constitutes proper posts, it is
necessary as a means of resolving our differences.

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD