String Breakage (Reply)

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:03:07 -0500

Well, Ron, I never get away from a splice without some blood being spilt
and some choice words being spoken, soto voce.  Or not.

Lubrication.  I never thought about that.  I cannot see any why nots and
it might help.  Moderation in everything.  Personally I think anything
worth doing is worth overdoing, but I am learning moderation.

Using the same size wire for a splice is best.  No more than 1/2 size
different.

Bending wire take out the temper so softening can be a problem.

Not getting the loop tails pointed in opposite directions will cause a
splice failure.

I have had splices fail that I thought should not have.  I always
attributed it to an oversight of mine, but now you make me think I was
wrong.

I do not carry lengths of replacement wires, I carry stringing cut offs
to use a splices.

A splice a day will keep ignorance away.

Have a nice week all.

                    Newton