Netiquette

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:52:15 -0600 (CST)

>Eugenia Carter wrote:
>
>> I don't know about the other members, but I am one person who does not want
>> this list to become moderated. If it does, then it will be diminished so
>> much that there sure won't be that much posted on it.

* Here here. If we aren't adult enough to police ourselves, where will you
find an adult who is, and who will... and who among us will comply?

>Don't sell the list short.  There are thoughful technical posts on this
>list everyday.  That's what we're here for, right?

*The best argument against enforced moderation that I've seen printed here.

>> As has been pointed out so many, many times, if you don't like it or aren't
>> interested, use that delete key. Much simpler and easier.
>
>If this was a simple solution, then why have so many people left?  The
>reason is that 'filter and delete' isn't so simple.
>
>Carl Root, RPT
>Rockville, MD

*The only really compelling reason I see for dropping the list is that when
it isn't providing enough technical merit to offset sufferance of the
annoyances. We all have to put up with jerks nearly every day out there in
the "real" world, and we occasionally discover that we are one ourself. So
as for the list; if you'll suffer me, and I'll suffer you, we will all learn
something and perhaps, just perhaps, become lesser jerks in the process. Of
all the people that have dropped out, the common attitude seems to be an
intolerance toward being disagreed with. True, some were abused by one or
more of the list's intermittent jerks, but it seems to me that if they had
any convictions at all regarding their technical knowledge, they would have
stayed around and either successfully defended themselves, or appended their
knowledge. Why didn't they simply outlast the SOB? Sometimes paying for your
education means taking the path through the pig pen.

I'll go away now.
 Ron