String Breakage (Reply)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:52:17 -0600 (CST)

At 11:04 AM 1/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Clyde Hollinger wrote:
>
>"...splicing strings and will normally do so only as a last resort."
>
>Splicing as been my first resort for bass and middle strings.  I usually
replace
>treble strings.
>
>When making the loops they need to be turned in opposite directions to get the
>tails to point in opposite directions.  It is a simple point that I often
forget to
>point out.
>
>                        Newton

I agree with Newton. Splice first, where possible. The string will sound
more like everything around it, and stay in tune better than a replacement.
When you replace a string, no matter who you talk to about it before the
fact, you will eventually hear all about how your "fix" didn't "hold" worth
a damn, and WHY NOT? You can tell everyone in the building all about it, and
all their friends, and everyone in the greater metropolitan -insert name
here- area that that new string will be a problem for a while. You can post
signs, buy a prime time television spot, put a full page disclaimer in the
newspaper, and they will still rag you about doing such a sloppy job, since
that string was out of tune the very next day, week, month, etc. Life is
short... splice first.

Humbug
 Ron