Netiquette

Richard Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:51:10 -0600

I've been following the thread that has been discussing a list
moderator.

I would start by asking those individuals against having a moderator,
have you ever been in a net group with a moderator?

I have. In two that were dealing with writing novels. We would critique
the work of other members. Oh boy! Can that sometimes raise hackles!

The moderators sat back, and let the general workings of the group take
place. They didn't jump on every post that was a little off tilt. What
they did do was to step in when things got crazy. Much like it's been
here the last two weeks. Mostly a gentle nudge that tried to steer back
on the set goals for the whole thing in the first place. They were not a
nuisance. Did they remove people from the group. You bet! Generally it
was for gutter language and name calling that had no place there.
Abusive people were removed after multiple warnings.

Do we need a moderator here? Not yet.

I've been working behind the scene and it's surprising what a personal
phone call can do! People can be a lot more understanding in person when
goals are explained.  I think things will be better now.

Pushing the button on a message to netland is a lot different than
talking to someone one-on-one. It's very easy to email, or type, one
thing and have someone else take it entirely differently, causing a hard
spot for someone.

I'm new here and want to learn. When you're 62 years old and learning a
new skill..Hopefully, every day, every message should add to the
knowledge base. Richard Snelson  Associate Member PTG