String Breakage (Reply)

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:45:19 -0500

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I must admit this thread has me gobsmack, you have tying strings as part
> of your PTG test!!!

You got it!

> Why not just change the string do you not carry Hexcore bass strings,
> until you have a replacement made,  this is definitely a no no in the
> UK.  We have seen it in Reblitz and it has all ways got a polite :-) and
> a few odd comments.

What evil is there in it?  Does not the old string hold better than
new.  I have yet to hear a universal hex cored bass string match the
neighbors.  New "proper"strings often don't either.

> What is the failure rate,

Rarely fails!

 How do you cope with strings that the pin is
> close to the agraph or v-bar.

We cuss the designer in our mind atleast and do our best!

 Do the over hangs from the tying not
> scratch the plate (frame) when you pull up the string.

Yeah, it can but we do our best to orient the knot so it doesn't and
keep the excess wire well trimmed.

  How long from
> start to fin for the job.

About five minutes!

 How is the stability of the string compared
> with a new bass string.

Much better! usually no perceptable change. Tie one for a concert, go
home and forget it!

Some of you have said they use a larger gauge
> will this not make tying the knot harder.

1/2 size doesn't make a whole heck of a big difference, but 26 wire is
no fun.

-Mike Jorgensen
An avid knot tier.