String Breakage (Reply)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:42:57 -0600 (CST)

Hi Barrie,

Michael beat me to a reply, but I'd second his answers.

more below.

>>What evil is there in it?  Does not the old string hold better than
>>new.  I have yet to hear a universal hex cored bass string match the
>>neighbors.  New "proper"strings often don't either.
>

>There is no evil it, just don't look like a professional job that is how
>it is look at over hear. However, needs must in some situations like you
>have described and if the stability is better for the fist few hours all
>the better.   As for hexcored bass string I only use them until I have a
>re-placement,  I have had odd new strings that don't mach,  they get
>sent back.  The string maker will get it right the first time if you
>keep sending his/hers strings back and worn them you will change string
>maker.
>
>It could be that your string makers are out of practice at making odd
>strings if you all splice :-)

*Like I said to Carl, I don't want to change the same string twice. Also,
from what you just wrote here, I don't want to grow old sending replacements
back for re-make when they come in wrong. Besides, we're talking about
highly professional looking splices here, not the  first attempt
four-in-hand you see at high school dances.  %-)

>Thanks for the fed back. I will have to give it a try, I will risk in on
>a Birdcage. ;-)
>
>Barrie

* Well, there you have the difference between the attitudes regarding
splices. Most of us over here would think twice before wasting a perfectly
good (highly professional looking) splice on a nasty old Birdcage.  (VERY
large grin)

 Ron