Rebuilding a Haines Bros Grand

Stan Kroeker skroeker@mts.net
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:22:13 -0600 (CST)

>>I have repaired 2 major cracks and refinished the
>>soundboard, painted the plate, installed new strings and tuning pins,
>>rebushed the keys and put on new keytops, various new felts, repinned
>hammer
>>flanges, new knuckles, filed and shaped the old hammers and regulated. I am
>>now trying to decide whether  to voice the hammers and keep them or put on
>>new ones which I know really is the best route to go. As my voicing
>>experience is limited I'm not sure if what I presently hear is fixable by
>>voicing or can only be cured with new hammers or some other problem. The
>>bass and tenor section is a bit nasal, the lower treble sound ok, mid
>treble
>>is a bit tinny,and the high treble has a strong knock. What thinks ye?
>>John Pengelly
>>The Tuning Fork
>>Nelson B.C.

Hi John,

You haven't mentioned about the piano's crown and downbearing situation.
These conditions are crucial in predicting the outcome of a major rebuild.
For the past 4 years or so, all of our rebuilding projects (actually,
anything involving restringing) have included complete restoration of
soundboard and bridges along the line of Bill Spurlock's techniques as
described in a series of PTJ articles (3/92, 5/92, 6/92).

Prior to doing these repairs, our pianos typically turned out much as you
describe; tinny and nasal in tonal quality.  Hammer voicing will likely not
improve this.  In the presence of acceptable crown and downbearing
(whatever that is), I believe that the crucial factor is solid string
termination, both at the bridges and the agraffe and/or capo bar.  We
routinely repin all bridges, not only because we are interested in spending
a great deal of time for questionable cosmetic improvement, but because it
enables us to plane down the bridge to the bottom of the string grooves and
re-cut notches on the center line of the pin holes.  The pin holes are
redrilled to a consistant depth for 1" pins and the pins are epoxied in
place.  Rock solid termination.  Do this once and you'll never do a
'slap-on' stringing job again.

Best regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician