String Breakage (Reply)

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:02:20 -0700

Barrie,
You need to interpolate what Jon said about the knot being in the speaking
length.
I fully agree with him that a knot can be tied in the bass string speaking
length ( not in the winding ) and not greatly affect the string's harmonic
capabilities. Wound bichords or trichords that are of different winding
length will result in unisons that can not be tuned with out serious tuning
problems.  IMHO
Joe Goss----------
> From: Barrie Heaton <Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: String Breakage (Reply)
> Date: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 11:58 AM
>
> In article <199901200323.WAA21776@mailhost.capecod.net>, Jon Page
> <jpage@capecod.net> writes
> >
> >A properly tied knot is a work of art, it should be appreciated as such.
> >The trick is to cut the splice to the proper length to achieve three
coils.
> >(three fingers, not four; drop the pinky).
> >
> >I have knots tied in the speaking length of bass strings in commercial
> >pianos which are holding fine and actually sound as good if not better
> >them the rest of them.
>

> Come on Jon, it must make it false as hell with the knot in the speaking
> length of the string, if it sounds better then the string next to it,
> that string must be crap.
>
> Now that would make  Christofori turn in his Grave a knot in the
> speaking length :-)
>
> I am still smiling over the fact you have it in your test, I can see
> some of the faces, if I said we should have it in our test. That would
> put a quiver in a few stiff upper lips.
>

> Take care
>

> Barrie,
>

> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally
Friendly