String Breakage (Reply)

Mike Imbler MIKE-IMBLER@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:29:17 -0600

Ron is correct.  You aren't getting a 1000 degree temperature rise in the
wire by bending it once or twice, but you are definitely work hardening it
to some degree.  Try it with a paper clip if you aren't a believer.  The
clip will warm slightly, but will get harder to bend and will eventually
break if you continue bending it.

                                        Regards,  Mike
-----Original Message-----
From: Newton Hunt +ADw-nhunt+AEA-jagat.com+AD4-
To: pianotech+AEA-ptg.org +ADw-pianotech+AEA-ptg.org+AD4-
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 7:31 AM
Subject: Re: String Breakage (Reply)

+AD4-Ron, ask a machinist.  They understand metals and their responses to heat.
+AD4-                    Newton
+AD4-
+AD4-Ron Nossaman wrote:
+AD4-
+AD4APg- +AD4-
+AD4APg- +AD4-In this case, no, making such tight bends heats the wire and anneals it,
+AD4APg- +AD4-so the wire becomes softer, which allows the loops to become as tight as
+AD4APg- +AD4-they do.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- +ACo-I don't think so, I'll stick with work hardening.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- +AD4-What book and what type of knot are you referring to?
+AD4-
+AD4-