String Breakage (Reply)

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:28:26 +0000

Barrie,

Actually a knot in the speaking length of a bass string might
very well not (no pun intended) cause any falseness.  A knot in
the speaking length of a plain string is another matter.  The
trouble with tying a bass string when it breaks at the agraffe
is having to remove some winding which invariably causes other
problems.  In that case I would use a universal and order both
strings if a bi-chord and replace next time in the area.  If
it breaks at the tuning pin I would definitely tie it and
forget about it.  What if you didn't have a hex-core universal
string to match the broken string?  Would you put in the
closest match you had?  I think tying strings is just another
tool in the kit. I have to admit I've had more than a couple
smiles and winks over your amazement of this whole thing.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> Date:          Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:58:08 +0000
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> From:          Barrie Heaton <Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk>
> Subject:       Re: String Breakage (Reply)

> In article <199901200323.WAA21776@mailhost.capecod.net>, Jon Page
> <jpage@capecod.net> writes
> >
> >A properly tied knot is a work of art, it should be appreciated as such.
> >The trick is to cut the splice to the proper length to achieve three coils.
> >(three fingers, not four; drop the pinky).
> >
> >I have knots tied in the speaking length of bass strings in commercial
> >pianos which are holding fine and actually sound as good if not better
> >them the rest of them.
>

> Come on Jon, it must make it false as hell with the knot in the speaking
> length of the string, if it sounds better then the string next to it,
> that string must be crap.
>
> Now that would make  Christofori turn in his Grave a knot in the
> speaking length :-)
>
> I am still smiling over the fact you have it in your test, I can see
> some of the faces, if I said we should have it in our test. That would
> put a quiver in a few stiff upper lips.
>

> Take care
>

> Barrie,
>

> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
> The UK Piano Page                              |
> pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net