Travelling (was String Breakage)

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:18:28 -0700

At 07:02 PM 1/21/99 +0000, Barrie wrote:

>In article <36A74563.809@cmich.edu>, Michael Jorgensen
><Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu> writes
>>Barrie,
>>    Knots is nothin compared ta other crummy stuff we do!!!
>>Like--hundreds of little bits of paper used to jury rig crooked flanges
>>so they travel right.  Even worse, we'll never go back, remove the paper
>>and file the flanges straight!  If the owners only knew how their "fine"
>>pianos are slopped together with paper!
>>--- just givin ya a hard time!

>The question is do S&S and the like use a quality news paper for the
>strips or one of the smutty Tabloids.  I use one of the smutty Tabloids.

I think they use what's known here as "butcher's tape", the wide brown
paper tape that butchers use to wrap packages of meat... or used to before
cellophane and foam trays. Newspaper isn't usually thick enough, even the
smutty tabloid kind.

>What do you use:-)

See above. It's thin and gummed on one side and a strip can hang on your
lip until you need it. My centre pin case has masking tape cut into strips
on it for emergencies, but butcher's tape is easier and doesn't leave any
residue.

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT -  Calgary, Alberta Canada
Registered Piano Technician   http://www.musselwhite.com
email: john@musselwhite.com