Who fixes these?

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 05:34:36 -0500

(No wisecracks please.)

I went to a house yesterday to tune an "old upright". On arriving I found
it was an "old English", but not a "birdcage" - the dampers were in the now
standard location.

I checked a few pins for tightness and they seemed ok. C5 was very close to
my tuning fork, but a couple of semitones in the area of D4 to B4 sounded
more like unisons. On further examination here's what I found:

In the area below the tuning pins, which were in an open-faced pin block,
there was no V bar or agraffes, but rather what looked like another bridge
with stagger pins. Actually, the notes below D4 (as I remember) had only
one stagger pin, but the upper section had two, just like we normally find
below at the bridge. The wood in the affected section had split along the
line of the lower pins and the pins had shifted to the left, thus allowing
the strings also to shift and not be aligned with the hammer.

I showed and explained all this to the understanding, young Phillipine
lady, apologizing for having to charge her for the visit and not being able
to tune her piano. She said she would start looking to buy a more modern
used piano because she wants to play, and she hopes her 4 year old daughter
will start learning too in a year or so.

Now my question: Does anyone specialize in fixing up old English pianos?
They are such pretty things, but seem to all have some internal problems.
This one seems "fixable". It's a shame to let such a nice looking and
potentially adequately functioning piano go to waste.

Is there any repair facility in the USA, especially the East Coast, that
takes old English pianos and makes them useable again?

Wally Scherer, Piano Technician, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Associate member of the PTG, Hampton Roads, Va. chapter
mailto:WallyTS@iName.com
Web page: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2411
"Old piano tuners don't die - they just go beatless!"