Travelling Papers

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:57:01 +0000

Sorry Ed,

I should have written it a little better.  In a
hurry...During manufacturing when drilling the birdseye and
possibly the flange bushing hole the drill bit is invariably
going to drift because of wood grain and the tiny bit.  The
center pin will exhibit that same imperfection and thus we
travel.  Is that a little better?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> From:          A440A@AOL.COM
> Date:          Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:01:51 EST
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: Travelling Papers

> David wrote:
> <<Packing tape, probably exactly the same as butcher's tape.  I
> precut it and keep it in a Fuji film canister (see through).
>        Me too!
>     I do most of my travelling on the bench here, and use the brown packing
> tape.  It helps to cut a variety of widths, since a very thin strip will give
> far less travel than a wide one.  It doesn't take long before you can gauge
> the width needed by the severity of the traveling.
>      The use of the sticky paper tape also helps a lot when simultaneously
> traveling and spacing Steinway flanges , since it can be fitted into the
> flange corners in a variety of configurations.
>

> >>The reason we travel is because of the center pins.>>
>
>      That looks sorta like a troll, so what the hey,....(:)}}.
>       We should also add the variables of felt bushings, and the trueness of
> the holes  bored in the flanges, as well as all the surfaces.  I think it more
> likely that the pin is the most consistant component in the system.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA