Who fixes these?

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:52:52 -0800

Wallace Scherer wrote:

> Now my question: Does anyone specialize in fixing up old English pianos?
> They are such pretty things, but seem to all have some internal problems.
> This one seems "fixable". It's a shame to let such a nice looking and
> potentially adequately functioning piano go to waste.
>
> Is there any repair facility in the USA, especially the East Coast, that
> takes old English pianos and makes them useable again?
>
> Wally Scherer, Piano Technician, Norfolk, Virginia, USA

It's not just a question of "fixing" them.  They usually require a certain
amount of redesign work as well.  This generally leads to fabricating some new
mechanism of some sort -- in this case a new top string termination system.
Unless the shop in question has experience doing this and really understands
the problem as well as the cure, the result could well be worse than the
original.  It would just cost more.  And that, of course, brings up the final
nail in the coffin...cost.  For what it would cost to make a piano of this type
into a good, reliable and musical instrument your customer could probably but a
couple of other good, reliable musical instruments.

Having said all of that, yes, there are technicians that are experienced in
fixing and restoring old English pianos.  One of them is Joe Garrett.  He's not
on pianotech, but he is a PTG member and is in the directory.  He is also
located in Gales Creek, Oregon.  I don't know about the East Coast.

Regards,

Del