GLASS BEADING of actions = INCOMPETENCE

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:48:08 EST

Someone wrote:

<< We  have been using the glass bead blasting method for cleaning everything
from wippens to pedal rods for two plus years. >>

WHY  would you not use some non-harmful abrasive,  like pecan shells, the dust
of which is less hard than the centerpins, so that any dust residue in the
centers would not wear away at the pin and the felt?

Additionally, one doesn't have to go to great lengths to avoid the dust (
cellulose) generated when blasting with shells, whereas glass beading produces
silica dust, with a real threat to health with silicosis.

Just for the sake of the customer's property (the action does belong to them )
you might at least try shell blasting. It will not work on metal as well as
glass beads, because they "explode" when they hit metal and blast off the
surface with extremely sharp edges. Then of course, the particular glass bead
is sharp dust, and no longer a bead. Just ask your abrasive supplier about
this, or try a small sample against metal and see how the character of the
material changes,  or use a microscope and actually look at the residue.

I say " IF YOU USE GLASS BEADS  TO BLAST PIANO ACTIONS,  YOU ARE BEING
INCOMPETENT."

If you disagree with this statement PLEASE DEFEND YOUR POSITION.

Bill Simon
Phoenix