Damper Felt Springs

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:30:27 -0600

Hi Sandman,
                     At 69gms down weight with dampers off, it is best to
solve this problem before. messing with damper springs. I have seen too
many pianos messed up by some one stabing
in the dark.  In this case a touch weight analysis has been done, and
points to either friction or geometry. IMHO.
Regards Roger

At 09:35 PM 24/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>We know that the dampers are out of the equation, right.
>How much damper spring tension is there on the damper levers?
>What do the dampers sound like to you?
>
>If the customer is complaining of "heavy touch" Is the damper lever a part of
>his "touch" equation? My "guess is yes. I have seen some pretty tough damper
>lever springs in a few upright actions.
>
>What is the optimal "damper spring tension"? For me well I still just guess
>and check by feel. (not to scientific).
>
>If I see deep groves in felt, in the damper levers, I think 2 things, cheep
>felt, or strong damper springs..Both? Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>Sand Man
>
>In a message dated 1/25/99 4:15:36 AM, baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:
>
><<The customers complaint about the action was that it was too heavy, not
>>something I normally run into with consoles.>>

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.