CA vs Epoxy for pinblocks

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 02:43:15 EST

I know that several people on this list successfully use CA glue to treat
pinblocks and cure loose pins. I tried it once on a piano with zero pin torque
that  had been very heavily treated with Garfield's Pin Tite.  A string
brought to pitch would instantly slide to an octave low.  It improved to
almost tuneable. The piano was an absolute disaster and I feel that CA would
work in most situations.

I am looking at another POS as a candidate for treatment.

I know there was a debate a while ago about Epoxy versus CA glue.  Since time
has passed a bit I thought that there might be more information now. Are there
any technicians out there who are successfully using epoxy (presumably water
thin), or who have compared both products?

 I am drilling oversized holes in some pinblock material and will test both
products on the bench, but still would like to hear about results and brand
names from anyone who has treated pinblocks with epoxy.

If you have found a particularly successful CA glue or procedure, please
mention it.

Thanks for any information.

Bill Simon
Phoenix