Vertical touch weight

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:31:48 -0500

I use Flitz, a metal polish made in Germany and available from Pianotek
to polish key pins and capstans.+AKA- I use a powdered Teflon spray to
lubricate key pins and key felts.+AKA- You can also use Protek to lubricate
key pins and capstans.

OK, let''s get way out into left field.

Two items.

1.+AKAAoACg- THere were some pianos made by Aeolian where the action was
improperly installed by the factory not following the install specs of
Pratt Reed who made the action.+AKA- In their design the flat area of the
main action rail was to be parallel with the strings or fully vertical.+AKA-
Get a small level and check for this or a set of parallels and remove a
few action parts to check the other.

2.+AKAAoACg- When Nixon imposed an embargo of imported buckskin from Brazil the
garment industry decided suede skirts were 'in'.+AKA- The piano industry,
not having the purchasing power of the garment industry, went lacking
for buckskin and tried to find substitutes, i.e. Corfam, felt, and other
inadequacies.+AKA- A major problem for us then and now.

CHeck if this piano has buckskin instead of felt.+AKA- Appearances can be
deceiving if you cannot see what it is you can run the material across
the edge of the bottom of your lip.+AKA- Fuzzy means felt, smooth means
buckskin.

Let us know what you find.