Garbage: PG rated Parental Gudiance Suggested:

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:36:34 -0800

Ted, et al,

While I do agree that the post in question was -- is -- in poor taste and does
not belong on this list, I do not agree that you speak for me in ordering the
writer off the list.

I have been a member of this list for about two years, if memory serves.
During that time I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of inappropriate posts
come sailing by.  I nearly signed off the list after the first couple of weeks
because of several threads and numerous posts discussing in some detail the
belching and burping habits -- again, if I recall correctly -- of various
individuals and their relatives.  I thought those posts were in poor taste and
inappropriate on a list about piano technology.  That was my introduction to
pianotech and I figured if this was all it had to offer I didn't have the time
to waste on it.  Although I'm sure some would agree that I should have exited
then and there, Andy talked me out it.  (So you can blame him that I still
around to be a thorn in your side on this issue.)  I'm glad he did because,
for the most part it has been interesting and informative.

I think that most subscribers would agree that a general discussion on
belching and burping has no place on this list.  So, should all of those
writers have been banned to Outer Slobovia?  I think not.  Eventually the
subject changed and life went on.

I have watched while other folks have gone out of their way to be nasty and
insulting to one another.  Those posts bothered me far more than these do.
But I've also learned to live with them.  Or at least cope with them.  I
either filter out the individuals responsible or, more commonly these days to
save time, I simply delete the entire thread when it degenerates to that
level.  Netscape has some wonderful features.

What we don't need on this list is a moderator or a censor.  And that seems to
be what you and several others are calling for.  But, who is going to be the
censor?  Are you going to decide who's posts make it through and who's do
not?  I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't agree with all
of your choices.  And if took the job, I'm sure you wouldn't agree with some
of my choices either.

This is a free and open list.  Obviously, we should all be adult and mature
enough to resist the urge to write and send posts such as the one in
question.  But, until the world becomes perfect, perhaps the rest of us can
exhibit the requisite maturity to cope with a few inappropriate posts and
their authors from time to time.

Back in my grade school days my teachers taught us that the best way to cope
with someone who was exhibiting inappropriate behavior was to simply ignore
both the behavior and the individual.  Eventually the behavior would change
and it was possible that the individual would turn out to be rather worth
knowing.  The same principle applies here.  If you don't like the posts from
this individual, ignore them or filter them out.  Eventually they will go
away.  With luck he will not, but instead will become a thoughtful and
valuable contributor to the list.

Regards,

Del