Garbage: AND little tech tip (very little)

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@roadrunner.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:17:02 -0700

At 10:36 AM 1/26/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Ted, et al,
>
>While I do agree that the post in question was -- is -- in poor taste and
does
>not belong on this list, I do not agree that you speak for me in ordering the
>writer off the list.

Hi Del, list. Major agreement on that point, Del. Seems like I'd rather do
my own condemnation of something or someone, if it really needs doin'.

BIG SNIP OF SOME VERY NICELY SAID STUFF

>  Eventually the behavior would change
>and it was possible that the individual would turn out to be rather worth
>knowing.  The same principle applies here.  If you don't like the posts from
>this individual, ignore them or filter them out.  Eventually they will go
>away.  With luck he will not, but instead will become a thoughtful and
>valuable contributor to the list.

There's an old phrase that applies to this, eating, and tuning:
"You either use a filter, or you ARE one."
I've used the e-mail filters in the past, just as I'm sure some have used
filters to auto-delete my posts.... but..... I found that the best
pattern-recognizer for this list is the same one that is still used in
factories and the like as well as our field. Wet-ware. Yup. The time it
takes to skim a huge thread for gems is less than it takes to scan for
unlevel keys or walking center pins. So... my filters are not set for ANY
auto-deletes. What IF.... you miss the post that saves you 10 minutes?
It'll save you those same ten minutes a bazzilion times before you retire.
Was the time used for sorting through the "garbage" spent, or invested?
For those who insist on posting criticisms or judgements, all I can suggest
is..... uh .... go ahead. It's your time, and you'll feel better, and.....
never mind. Have fun anyway.

Thanks, Del, and list. (even those I don't read) For ALL of the
contributions. What an incredibly special group of people.

Here's the little tech tip:  If you're one of the ancients that uses
roll-type tool pouches, get a couple of those hair holding stretchy things.
Slide one over your wrist (on the hand that holds the roll) before you do
up your roll, and then you can slide it off, right onto the roll. Cool,
huh? This tip came from my newbie associate. You CAN learn from.... anyone.

Lurking on medical leave,
Guy

  An intelligent person does not take part in the sources of misery,
   which are due to contact with material senses. Such pleasures have a
   beginning and an end, and so the wise man does not delight in them.

                                  Bhagavad Gita (c. B.C. 400)