CA vs Epoxy for pinblocks

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:09:13 EST

In a message dated 1/26/99 1:36:51 PM Central Standard Time, lesbart@juno.com
writes:

<< >I know there was a debate a while ago about Epoxy versus CA glue.
 >Since time
 >has passed a bit I thought that there might be more information now.
 >Are there
 >any technicians out there who are successfully using epoxy (presumably
 >water
 >thin), or who have compared both products?
 >
 > I am drilling oversized holes in some pinblock material and will test
 >both
 >products on the bench, but still would like to hear about results and
 >brand
 >names from anyone who has treated pinblocks with epoxy.
 >
 >If you have found a particularly successful CA glue or procedure,
 >please
 >mention it.
 >
 >Thanks for any information.
 >
 >Bill Simon
 >Phoenix

When treating and entire pinblock, I have used both epoxy and CA.  I have
sized pinblocks with epoxy thinned to water-like consistency with acetone.  I
put on one coat, let it cure, then applied another.  I have repinned (and
sometimes restrung) afterwards without reaming using 2/0, 3/0 & 4/0 pins.  All
have been successful and are workable over 10 years later.

Recently, I tuned a Lester Spinet in which I had repinned the bass after
sizing with epoxy and used water thin epoxy as tuning pin "dope" combined with
driving in deeper for the midrange and treble.   I had done this for a dealer.
The repair seemed successful at the time.  I was pleased to find, about 10
years later that this piano tuned normally.  The pins were firm and had a feel
that was on the very slightly jumpy side of normal.

Epoxy is better in a shop and reconditioning application.  While CA glue can
be used in the shop, it is more expensive and more hazardous than epoxy.  It
is however,  the ultimate quick-fix, field repair alternative.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin