Key Ratio

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:09:10 +1100

G'day List
Jon, for an out of touch Aussie tech whose PianoTek catalogue is 5 years out
of date, could you enlighten me as to the details - who makes it? and what's
the cost of this wondrous jig
maybe a catalogue number if you have it handy, I'm veeeeery intrigued.

Also my newfound friends, I'm starting to research action design and
geometry in both grands and uprights and would appreciate any leads
regarding reading material. I'm currently wading through Walter Pfieffer's
two books The Piano Key and Whippen and The Piano Hammer, and my Journals go
back only a bit over 4 years.

Any suggestions?

I'm also planning on being at your national convention this year in Kansas
City, but the more I can discover and understand before I come, the deeper
my learning can be. Looking forward to meeting some of you there!

Thanx in advance
Mark Bolsius - Canberra Australia
markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
----------
From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Key Ratio
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 1:10 PM

Here's something to break the monotony:

Why are some piano's key ratios so erratic
and other a closer tolerance?

Is the hole that much off note to note to create
a .02 to .05 difference?

I have not taken linear measurements for this, (can one?)
only a weight on the capstan with the key on the
scale platen. Next time I'll scrutinize length parameters.

I have to put in a plug for the Touchweight Design Table.
(Pianotek)
If speed and accuracy conforms to your procedures, then
this tool fits that bill. I thought my own jigs were doing just fine.

Having ordered one at the Providence Convention I thought
I would be apprised of their availability but fortunately one arrived
last month. What a difference!
A side by side comparison proved the benefits of their system.

I highly recommend this tool for techs interested in further
development of their action diagnostics.

Regards,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)