CA vs Epoxy for pinblocks

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:13:02 -0500

The important thing to realize is that thin CA is useful when "doping" an
old, fully strung piano. I only use a few drops at each pin. I have seen
posts recommending soaking alot of CA into the pinblock. One of those posts
mentioned an unintended result of CA dripping out onto the keybed or
customer's floor. Excess is not the way to go. Thin CA is not a gap filler.
When the piano is unstrung, with the tuning pins removed, epoxy can be used
to 1) reinforce the pinholes (as Bill advocated) or 2) fill the holes
completely, to be redrilled. In the latter process, thin epoxy soaks
through the rest of the pinblock, stabilizing it. While the "proper"
procedure would be to replace the pinblock, several technicians (Rob Stuart
Vail, for one) have had success with this procedure. Some have advocated
its use in restoring early instruments.
I would be extremely leery of dripping thin epoxy into a fully strung piano
(sheared tuning pins would be likely, in my opinion).
Keep in mind that CA fumes are toxic, and CA is very bad on human skin.
Epoxy is much less noxious.

Good luck,
Patrick Draine