Player piano sustain pedal problem

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@roadrunner.com
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:58:55 -0700

At 11:44 AM 1/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear List:
>I usually avoid working on player pianos, but I got sucked into this one.

Patrick,
Been there, done that. Got one now. Yuck.
Almost all of the ones I used to work on were tolerant of a minimum pedal
pneumatic lost motion of about 1/8th in. The pedal pneu is so big because
of the need for vaccuum reserve, not because of "throw" (in most cases).
So.... it shouldn't be a problem. Did you check to see if the dampers
"followed" the strings if you press them away? I was reminded of this quick
check by... uh ... Roger Jolly one day when I was wearing my "dummy" hat.
That'll tell you right away if your reg problem is in the pedal, or the
action timing, or the damper condition.
Good luck. Learn to just say... "no"... or, "well, ok, but it'll cost ya
more than it's worth" or something. Let me guess... no others in your area
willing, right?

Regards,
Guy

> I forgot that there's a
>pneumatic control attached to the sustain rod ...
>What's the proper adjustment for this setup?
>TIA,
>Patrick Draine

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon